Egg Eaters....do mustard filled eggs work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AimsChickies, Nov 24, 2009.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    well...i definitly have some egg eaters [​IMG]. I don't understand what brought it on, they get oyster shell, plenty of grass feed and water, they have plenty of space and ample nest boxes. SO....i prepared a batch of mustard eggs tonight (blew egg shells, filled with mustard using a syringe and capped holes using unscented candle wax). has anyone ever had this work? I am also going to build some roll away nest boxes this week.

2. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    don't know. will be interested to hear the replies. Never know when I will need to know

3. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing worked with my Hannah. She went to a woman who takes in unwanted chickens. Seriously.
    I was tired of isolating her all morning while waiting for the layers to lay.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Did not work at all with my pullets. They simply ate the shell around the hot mustard. So I do not recommend this, I also do not recommend the soap filled eggs. I read somewhere why it is bad for them, but cannot remember why. Here are the things that helped with my egg-eaters--I upped their protein, giving them a higher protein content feed. I made sure that their oyster shell never ran dry so that the shells were good and hard. I checked on them several times a day and collected eggs. I put a good thick layer of straw in the nest so that eggs were padded. I gave them lots of things to do and scratch around for. I did put a dark cloth over the nestbox, not sure if that helped. This stopped my young pullets from egg eating. An older hen may be a bit more set in her ways, but try every avenue before you off her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by