Egg Eaters?

DRnNC

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2016
I suspect that either my BCM rooster or pullet is eating her eggs. I haven't caught either in the act but I'm sure she is laying or should be. I have a small backyard flock of 9 hens and 4 roosters or cockerels. They're all around 9 to 10 months old. They're separated into 4 different coops and runs. I've got Delawares, New Hamshires, Buffs and a few mutts. LOL. Mutts are my best layers. All are laying but I can't ever find an egg in the BCM coop. I put a fake ceramic egg in their coop. They always kick it out into the run near the door. I know that's a lot of roosters for 9 hens but I like to hear them crow and aggravate my neighbor. Anyway, is there something I could do to stop them from eating them? I've heard once they start you can't stop them. I really want to hatch some off. They're from the Bev Davis line. Nice birds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. DR.

It's possible she isn't laying yet, they aren't an egg laying breed, more for the egg color not production, the Maran I had wouldn't lay during the winter months and didn't produce many eggs in a season, I would think you will be getting eggs in the next two months.

You would see some pieces of shell if they were being eaten. I mash up shells as fine as i can with a fork when i mix them in their scrap treat bucket, there's always bits uneaten

Hello DRnNC,

We had the same problem with one of our hens. We gave her a few ceramic eggs to deter her, and it seemed to work quite well.

If you can, find fake eggs that look as close to the real ones as possible. It can help if your chickens knock the false ones out of the nest, ours avoid the plastic ones if they can spot them...

Also, we found that crows tend to steal our eggs if we leave them more than a few hours. Egg shells turn up outside the coops every now and then, maybe have a look around and see if there are signs of anything else taking them?

Good luck with your flocks, it sounds like you have some interesting breeds. :)

Back
Top Bottom