egg eaters

coopsgirl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 13, 2008
i found a broken egg in my coop, and have witnessed my girls chasing one girl with a broken egg, i have been diligent to gather eggs or check them 2 or 3 times a day. is this a once kind of thing or is it a bad habit my chickens will start? can i stop the behavior?

to be honest its a little creepy..........
ps they have food in and out of their house and all the treats they want... so i dont hink its a hunger thing....

There is a way to stop it but one must be diligent with doing it.
Take a couple eggs and blow the inside out. Then using an injector fill the egg with mustard or hot mustard. Put egg into coop. When the culpret goes to crack the egg and eat it they will not like the taste of the mustard.
After that the chicken/s should leave all eggs alone.

Good luck!!

barnie.gif
hugs.gif

I just found out I have this problem.
sad.png

I noticed yesterday that Peg (one of my favorites) had egg yolk all over her head and I only found about 7 eggs (I have been getting 14 regularly and one day 17).

This morning I noticed Silver also had egg on her face. I have put those two in the 'penitentiary' with the young hormone riddled Dougie.

I read last night about the mustard in the egg and may try that if removing these two from the rest of the flock doesn't increase the number of eggs I am getting.

Also a contributing factor may be the weather. The weather has been wet/snowy and the girls all want to stay indoors instead of getting out and scratching around. So I think they started this out of boredom and I hope I can 'train' tem out of it with a hot mustard egg surprise.

Back
Top Bottom