Egg eating chicken

Sheila83

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I'm sure this topic has been covered 10 times over. Mine I think is a little different. One of my hens seems to be laying really thin shelled more round eggs making them very weak. So weak that I have broken her eggs on many occations just picking them up. I noticed that if I don't get in the nesting box to grab that egg right after laying it then it will be gone. It's only her eggs that get eaten. I'm thinking they get broken as another chicken goes in the box. Is there any way to stop this? Should I get rid of her? Any suggestion? Thanks.

Do you eat the eggs your chicken lays ??? If soo you need to save the shells of the eggs and crush them up into small pieces and put them into the chickens food ! The shells will become harder !

I've heard of filling an egg with mustard to stop them eating the eggs.as for the soft shelled eggs have you considered giving her a calcium injection? I got my injectable calcium off line but you might be able to find it at the feed store. It is usually under the name theracalcium making sure the ingredients are calcium glutenate. I think this will help with her soft shells. It is geared for larger animals so I only give 1/4 cc.. you can give the injection in the flesh of her breast. This should help. If you can't find it at the feed lot you can order theracalcium injectable online just watch the ingredients you want it to be calcium glutenate. Hope this helps you out.good luck and God bless

I have a hen who lays eggs like that and the others do take advantage of it and eat the broken eggs. I wormed and the problem got better but didn't completely disappear. If you don't have a lot of grass available to them you may want to give fresh kale or spinach or other leafy dark green greens.

If you don't want to get rid of her and you don't mind dealing with the issue then you shouldn't. It's up to you
smile.png

It shouldn't from what I have learned. Most hens will opportunistically eat an egg that is broken but that doesn't mean they will go out of their way to break one. At least that is what I have found. I had two that I caught eating the broken eggs and I isolated them for a couple of weeks. During that time neither messed with the others' eggs. I do try to keep on top of my weird egg layer to make sure that I scoop out any broken ones ASAP. I toss the shell and get as much of the egg out of the nest box as possible so they don't associate it and the problem has not really materialized. Good Luck!

Ok that sounds good. I don't really want to cull her. She's my first and only hen I hatched myself. But if I had to for the sake of he other 6 I would. Thank you.

Oh...I give a variety of calcium sources too...baked egg shells, oyster shell and greens that and the worming made a difference in the numbers of soft shelled egg I get.

Back
Top Bottom