Egg eating chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dianner, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Dianner

Dianner New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Why are my chickens eating their own eggs?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG] They probably found a broken egg on day and decided it tastes good and just continued breaking and eating them. Another thing is they could be breaking when they hit the nesting boxes and then they eat them because they are broken open.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Sometimes it is nutritional, environmental, or just because they can. I've found that chickens prefer more protein than is commonly found in levels of layer ration (16%). They usually find it on range or you could start by mixing 1/4 game bird crumbles or starter/grower with you lay pellets/crumbles. Make sure you mix enough oyster shell in the feed. I mix instead of leave a big container of oyster shell ever since I had a hen get crop bound from eating too much of it.

Hens also like a nest area where they won't be harassed by other birds trying to edge them off their nest. They like it dark with as little noise as possible. I hung curtains over my nests made from shade cloth, put a curtain over an East window, put some realistic ceramic eggs in the nests, and it helped very much.

Sometimes there will be a troublemaker in the flock the other chickens see breaking and eating eggs and it becomes competitive, learned behavior. It also helps to get out there in the morning and check for eggs after they've been out for a few hours. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Also how many nests and how many birds do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by