Egg Eating Flock

I actually did a bit of research on sites like this before building for size. 2-3 hens per nesting box. 2 square feet of space per hen provided you offer vertical space.
Wow run looks way too small for 16 hens, unless you are superfeeding them. They need at least 2 square yards each. I'd reduce my numbers. Sorry Looks way too tight to me.
Who advised you on nos for size of run

I actually did a bit of research on sites like this before building for size. 2-3 hens per nesting box. 2 square feet of space per hen provided you offer vertical space.
Not sure where, and when, or how much you looked, but 2sqft per bird is almost factory farm spacing.
Most common space req here at BYC is 4sqft per bird in coop and 10sqft in run.
Hard numbers don't always work for live animals,
but 4/10 is a good minimum to start with.
Vertical space can help some, depending on what it is.

There are other factors to consider like.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-20_17-8-48.png

Thanks Chicken juggler your measurement requirements look much more accurate for health.
Im always nervous of responding, but hate any animal to be in less than great environments and it looks like a fantastic house and run for 6 chickens but not 16.

Since no one has hit on the number one cause of hens eating eggs, I will chime in here!

Chickens are opportunistic eaters. If they have an opportunity to eat something they will. If an egg breaks, they will eat it.

This is what happens:

1. Hen lays an egg
2. hen pecks the egg to see if it is viable for hatching
3. if the egg breaks the hen will eat it

So....The number one cause of hens eating egg is weak egg shells. The way you are feeding them will make weak egg shells. They need nearly 100% egg laying feed with calcium on the side.

Another thing to look into is parasites as a cause of the softer than they should be egg shells.

Since no one has hit on the number one cause of hens eating eggs, I will chime in here!
Space and diet issues kind of overshadowed that didn't it?

2. hen pecks the egg to see if it is viable for hatching
Have never heard this one before.

But brings to mind....
@Mrhein have any broken shells have been found,
and if so are they thin shelled or thick??

Space and diet issues kind of overshadowed that didn't it?

Have never heard this one before.

But brings to mind....
@Mrhein have any broken shells have been found,
and if so are they thin shelled or thick??
Thank you for chiming in as those two issues seemed to be the most prominent and since I am not going to rebuild my coop overcrowding can be taken care of now that I know that could be an issue.

No, shells have not been found and the eggs being laid are healthy eggs. One miniature egg was discovered slightly pecked. That was just once.

I have changed my feed and added a toy along with checking eggs three times a day. This seems to be helping but I am planning to cull the flock this week and add a feeding tray of oyster shells along with the pulverized egg shells that I bake and provide as well. Ceramic eggs are on their way as I have to order most things due to location and availability.

Back
Top Bottom