Egg eating question

chicksurreal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 3, 2013
Arizona
One of my 20 week old Delaware pullets started laying a few days ago. She's laid an egg in a nesting box every day for the last 3 of 4 days.

Today (fourth day), I was standing in the run with them and she was just walking around and the egg fell out (I know this happens sometimes when they start laying). It broke on the ground and everybody went nuts, it was eaten up, shell and all in about 10 seconds.

Is this going to be the start of an egg eating problem? Or did they devour it because it broke open and they saw the insides? I'm hoping they won't connect a whole egg with the yummy little treat they just had, but now I'm worried about it. lol!

A broken egg is fair game. You can't expect chickens to ignore a treat that just appeared in front of them.

Generally, this doesn't cause a problem. The problem comes when they start to break the eggs to get the insides. If this is an isolated event, I wouldn't worry. Mine laid a few soft shelled eggs from the roost at the start that broke open and they eat it like candy but none of them pecks open an intact egg to eat it. I think you're going to be fine.

Thanks! I know they love to eat eggs and I was just hoping they wouldn't associate a whole egg with the little treat they had when that one broke!

Back
Top Bottom