Egg eating

Countryman101

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
Help please my ducks are eating there eggs. I get up in the morning like I do every morning and go from like 9 eggs a day to 2 or 3 but there are times I find just yokes in the nest and times I see a duck walking around with one in its beak. What can I do I was thinking about placing fake eggs.

Help please my ducks are eating there eggs. I get up in the morning like I do every morning and go from like 9 eggs a day to 2 or 3 but there are times I find just yokes in the nest and times I see a duck walking around with one in its beak. What can I do I was thinking about placing fake eggs.
They may just be bored. Try giving them more activities. Have they got a swimming pool? What do you feed them?

Yes they have a swimming pool.. but it's been in the teen if not in the 20'. I heard that they don't need the pool in the winter so I did drain the pool for the moment as it been in the freezing range. I been feeding them Nutrena Nature wise all flock 20% protein pellet, sunflower seeds, and Crack corn, treats are "assorted seeds, grains, and cherries with mealworms sprinkled into the mix then coated it all with sunflower puree" its called a dessert bucket. But I'm thinking about getting scratch for them.

Do your ducks get oyster shells or another source of calcium? What percentage of protein is your feed? New duck layers sometimes have glitches where they lay eggs without shells.Also if temps are in the teens the eggs could be cracking from the cold.

The feed is 20%. And I do give them oysters shells.. I was also told that that if I put the egg shells in the oven to dry I can also use them so I have done that as well.. I have caught a duck eating a egg. Then I went to do something and here comes one of the ducks with a egg in its beak. My girlfriend dropped a egg once and they all went for it

It is normal for birds to eat broken eggs. Sounds like they are getting the nutrients they need. Hopefully they are just cleaning up after cold cracks (or a new layer glitch works out)

Back
Top Bottom