egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TerryLee48, May 15, 2009.

1. TerryLee48

TerryLee48 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    My 5 chickens are 18 mos old and have been laying well. Two weeks ago they started eating the eggs before I can collect them. Do you have any sugestions on how to cure this? They seem to have plenty of food and water all day.I give them oyster shell with the laying pellets. Any help will be greatly appreciated and passed on. Thanks

2. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    I have read that people put golf balls down so the chickens might start to think nothing will happen from pecking at eggs.

3. TerryLee48

TerryLee48 New Egg

May 15, 2009
    thank you for your reply. I started that this morning. 2 broked eggs and 2 good eggs. thanks

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

TerryLee48,

I had this same problem last December with new laying pullets. I was able to break them from egg eating by rearranging the coop to shake things up. Adding 5 gallon buckets as nests. Putting golf balls and stone eggs in the nests. And collecting as often as I could. It was fortunate that I was on vacation at the time. Others have suggested filling blown out eggs with mustard or horseradish. And adding more protein or calcium to their diet. Also I have heard of people adding curtains in front of the nests so the eggs weren't so visible and it is darker in the nests. Good Luck.

Imp- Thinks speed & diligence is of the essence

5. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    WOW....I HOPE I don't have that problem:fl
    If I do, I was going to try the painted rocks (look like eggs) so they would be discouraged with the effort of trying too break the eggs open. [​IMG]

6. NireRN

NireRN New Egg

Apr 22, 2008
    Tried it all. Rearranged chooks to find out who was pecking. When I thought I knew, someone else was doing it!!! Had a Blue cochin bantam roo and 4 blue hens and 1 Turken hen. I got frustrated and sent them off to auction in 2 separate boxes. Hopefully this will really shake them up and they will stop! Got new babies starting and didn't want the cycle to continue.

7. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    This may sound silly but here is what I did to fix my egg eater.
    I sacrificed a couple of eggs and smeared the pine tar no pick stuff all over them and put them back in the nest box that they all seem to fight over even though they have 7 boxes. After 4 days of eggs smeared with this stuff I have not had one egg eaten. I figured if they didn't like it when its on the bird, they wouldn't like it on the egg! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

GRRRR [​IMG] My hens have gone on and off the egg eating habit! Tried the mustard in the egg trick - THEY LOVE MUSTARD - SPICY BROWN KIND ate it all! tried some homemade roll out nests - they started laying outside while ranging and hiding the dang eggs. Bought some Oyster Shell. Now, they are confined to the run, I took out the roll outs hoping that the changes would be enough and NOPE! Found half an egg in there today. Someone might end up being Fricasseed! (only kidding-can't eat any of them, they have NAMES) So, if you get any new ideas please post them - thanks!

9. billiebrat

billiebrat Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Altoona, PA
    I am having the same problem. I do not know what set it off, but it needs to stop. Someone help please. I am going to try the rocks and golf balls.

10. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I waas also having the same issue.I per suggestion of someone here hung up some tarps to try and keep the nest area dark and abit less traffic,I keep the food out of that area,put them all back on chick starter,have a bowl of oyster shell,and put out stratch grain eevery day.It hass helped alot.I know it is bad luck so knock on wood somewhere to talk about it going ok.I also try to keep eggs picked up frequently.and the gulf balls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by