Egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spitman, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    My pulleys have been laying for about a 1 1/2month now. It's been awesome to watch the egg count go from 1 or 2 to 9,10. However my wife forgot to let them out of coop this morning , and I got home around 1:00 when I let them out they almost ran me over they are spoiled and spend a good portion of the day free ranging. When I checked the nests one of the boxes looked wet like the chicken went pee lol. I know they don't urinate so I looked closer and saw some yoak, but no egg shell at all . I'm guessing that one of my chickens eat it.?could it be because we left them locked in the coop? Will the egg eater just continue to eat the eggs? Could it be that one of the chickens just laid an egg that had no shell? I havnt had any soft eggs, they have all seemed like normal shelled eggs. But I figured there would be some egg shell left or some kind mess if a chicken eat the egg? Any information or advise would be awesome.

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I don't think they ate it because you didn't let them out. If you do have a egg eater and don't stop it yes it will get worse. I got one that I can't break. So I had to build roll away boxes. Maybe you don't have a egg eater.

3. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    My pullets are at about the exact same point... isn't it exciting?!

Did you see any shell in the nest? I'm wondering if someone could have laid a shell-free egg and had it break when they laid it or nosed it around. I often see mine nose the eggs around and give them a gentle peck, it would probably make sense from a chicken's point of view to eat anything that doesn't have a viable shell.

Either way, can't hurt to put some golf balls in the nest and put out some oyster shell if you aren't already doing that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by