Egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bwhnt1024, Aug 22, 2011.

1. bwhnt1024

bwhnt1024 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    I have 5 21 week old chickens. One of them, a barred rock, wont lay in the nest boxes. She lays on the floor of the coop & seems to be eating them. I have two red sex links that are laying in the boxes & arn't eating the eggs. The other two havn't started laying yet. What can I do to break the Rock of eating her eggs? Thanks for the help.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You could try putting fake eggs, where she lays. She might give up on trying if she finds them undesirable.

Fill blown out eggs with horseradish or hot mustard.

Collect more often.

Good luck,

Imp

3. bwinn01

bwinn01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    I have 3 white leghorns and 2 red star, the white chickens eat the brown eggs. I put oyster shells in their feed, give them yogurt and check the boxes constantly and still I haven't had a brown egg in weeks. I sometimes get there before they finish the shell, it is always the white chickens that I catch eating the eggs. It is so frustrating. I have never known them to eat a white egg. I think I will try filling a shell with something not tasty.

4. db

db Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    I am having the same problem with chickens eating eggs. We have 26 pullets 28 weeks all laying 12 nesting boxes, huge enclosed area for them. I give them plain yogurt, oyster shells, fresh garden veggies, watermelon etc. etc. Yet I find them eating the eggs mainly ones dropped on floor coop. I have tried mustard egg, loved it, I even tried hot cajan sauce, loved it, so now I don't know what to do, I thought about something bitter to fill egg. Sometimes they leave all the eggs alone other days free for all. Oh I also keep fresh water in hen house and outdoors, changed filled 3 times day, and keep their feed filled so they have it all day. It has been hot and we do have a swamper in their coop and a ceiling fan so they do migrate in for long periods. Maybe the are bored? It is several girls doing it, I have also put wooden eggs in. Frustrated!!!! At least I know I'm not alone if you find something works besides getting rid of birds please let me know, same here if I come on something I will post . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by