EGG EXPLODED during my hatch!

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
I dont know what to do- I was watching baby number 2 hatch...and I noticed an egg with a crack in it...I said, "Oh that one has a crack!!!!!" Then, next time I looked over at it...nasty smelly disgusting goo everywhere.....I have one egg that has been trying to hatch since yesterday morning, one that is out all the way, and one that is out completely except its butt....what to do???
No other eggs to hatch...I think the other two were duds, I wasnt sure-so I gave them the benefit of the doubt when I got ready for the hatch.
*gag* the smell is horrendous!!!!!!!

I dont want to sacrifice the one working so hard, and I cant leave that in there- the bacteria must be horrendous...

advice?

edit:

Little white egg is zipping now- and it is cruising...three quarters of the way around. The stench must be making it work fast.

Last edited:
As soon as that little guy is out make sure you unplug your bator and get it outside before opening it to take the chicks out!!!! You will regret opening it in the house. Sometimes it just happens and as you hatch more you will learn to recognize the bad ones. Make sure you bleach your bator out and let it air out too. Good luck with the babies. Jenn

I hope they do okay. I would candle them next time. At 14 days you should be able to tell which for sure are duds.
big_smile.png
I know how nasty that can be. I had one blow up in mid air( yes I was throwing it outside
lol.png
). It is so gross

Eww. That is why we candle at day 7, 14 and 18. You should have had an off smell in your bator over the last few days. Anything that is not showing growth by day 14 should be removed for just this reason. An exploding egg is nasty as you have unfortunately found out. As soon as you can get that chick out of there. Bacteria that caused the egg to explode is not good for it to be exposed to especially if the little navel is rough.

When your hatch is over make sure you clean and sterelize your bator very well. You could get bacteria from the egg growing in there that could ruin it forever.

Congrats on the chick!

Well, the three chicks are doing quite well- thankfully...my incubator soaked all day while I worked...nasty stinky disgusting gross...*gag*
th.gif

From now on, no more benefit of a doubt to eggs. nope nope nope...

I was so innocent too- "Oh look, that egg has a crack in it...>KERRRRPLOWWWWW"....hopefully, my babies wont be affected. For what its worth, that last chick hatched so darn fast...maybe it was afraid it was gonna blow.

Back
Top Bottom