Egg Farms

BackyardCountry

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
My Own Little World....
recently, i found out about the cruelty that goes on at egg farms. many companies use egg farming to quickly and efficiently get eggs. Some comapnies that use eggs are:
-Wegmans
-Dunkin' Donuts
-Wendy's
-IHOP
-Taco Bell
etc.
i URGE you to stop buying from these places. a hamburger is nice and juicy but do you know how its treated at the cow farm? and a donut may be delicious but there are hens sacrificing their lives and freedom just to provide eggs for one.
Visit (animal rights organization link removed) to help the cause, get informed, and take action. This means alot to me and who better to help than the BYC family??

Quote:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you've recently come to this understanding. The realities of big operation "farming" has been a fact of life for a very long time. Yet, the consumer isn't interested in such things. I am sorry to be cynical, but the fact is that the majority of consumers care only about price, price, and yes, price. K-Mart was selling eggs this week for $.99 and likely blew out every, possible dozen they could. Got a feeling the $3.99 organic eggs barely moved at a snail's pace. In this Great Recession, the expectation that people would willingly pay 40-60 percent more their food is PollyAnna thinking, no matter how sympathetic to "the cause" they may be. Sorry.

To be clear, I am a professional organic gardener and raise clean, healthy chickens. The fact is that in a world where fruits and vegetables were all grown organically, all chickens for meat and chickens producing table eggs in a Norman Rockwellian, pastoral environment would raise food prices in this country and you'd not have a supportive consumer, but one in absolute rebellion on their inability or unwillingness to pay. My egg and vegetable customers ARE quite willing to do so. But, they remain in the minority by a rather large margin, I suspect.

Not raining on your parade, just tempering it a bit. Best regards,

Last edited:
Pretty much any meat or product containing eggs you buy at a restaurant or market stall, is going to be the product of factory farming. Try to find businesses that support local and/or humane farming. They are few and far between, but giving them your support and letting them know why you are doing it helps them continue to make ethical choices when selecting their suppliers. We supply a local restaurant with their chicken and we always encourage our customers to patronize them and let them know that they appreciate being served humanely treated meat.

That is the BIG truth of it! Consumers don't want to know, or want the cheapest source of protein and they can not raise chickens in a postal backyard (oh BYCers always find a way!).

Yep .99 cents a doz was really snatched up big time around here. Cubs and any stores that would compete against the competitors prices would get nabbed up as well to beat the same price. For those of us who had to resort in eating store bought eggs because our girls quit laying for the year you bet we want cheaper eggs too! (gag! taste of store bought eggs).

I'm glad you've recently come to this understanding. The realities of big operation "farming" has been a fact of life for a very long time. Yet, the consumer isn't interested in such things. I am sorry to be cynical, but the fact is that the majority of consumers care only about price, price, and yes, price. K-Mart was selling eggs this week for $.99 and likely blew out every, possible dozen they could. Got a feeling the $3.99 organic eggs barely moved at a snail's pace. In this Great Recession, the expectation that people would willingly pay 40-60 percent more their food is PollyAnna thinking, no matter how sympathetic to "the cause" they may be. Sorry.

To be clear, I am a professional organic gardener and raise clean, healthy chickens. The fact is that in a world where fruits and vegetables were all grown organically, all chickens for meat and chickens producing table eggs in a Norman Rockwellian, pastoral environment would raise food prices in this country and you'd not have a supportive consumer, but one in absolute rebellion on their inability or unwillingness to pay. My egg and vegetable customers ARE quite willing to do so. But, they remain in the minority by a rather large margin, I suspect.

Not raining on your parade, just tempering it a bit. Best regards,

A couple of years ago I was at an Aldi store, and they had eggs for sale. 50 cents a dozen. I saw people with 10 dozen, or more, eggs in their cart.

I have to admit I bought 5 dozen, and I would have bought more if I had room and enough people to eat them in a timely fashion.

But, that was also before I had chickens of my own and now I think I would definitely think twice, nay, three times before I purchased those eggs, no matter how cheap they may be.

Back
Top Bottom