Egg fertilization

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cirsius, May 14, 2010.

1. Cirsius

Cirsius Hatching

Sep 24, 2009
    I'm sure this has been previously discussed, but I would like to know how long will hens continue to lay fertilized eggs once the rooster has been removed? For reasons discussed in another posting under the nasty rooster category, I will soon be stewing my rooster. I had planned on breeding some within the next several weeks and have begun to set up the incubator etc. I would expect that fertilization occurs weeks before the egg is laid, but am curious how much time I would have to collect fertilized eggs once my rooster is removed. My rooster (a Rhode Island Red) is just a year old, but I believe he has been at all or most of the 21 hens, most of whom show the "hen tramp stamp" on the upper saddle, so I am hedging that most of the eggs have been fertilized. Of the 15 eggs per day about half are of incubator quality. I think one or more of the hens are laying eggs in the woods, although head count places them all in the coop at night.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

About 30 days.

Happy Hatching!!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:[​IMG]

OMG. *snorting* ROFLMAO. That's SO perfect.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:[​IMG]

OMG. *snorting* ROFLMAO. That's SO perfect.

Oh dear lord...I didnt even catch that!
    [​IMG]

I may have to post a thread just about that! [​IMG]!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: