Egg filled with blood?

chicksandchores

Songster
Mar 17, 2019
Middle Tennessee
Okay, this is a new one on me.
I went outside to get eggs and found a fart egg in the floor, not a ton smaller than my bantam hen lays but still noticeably smaller. Picked it up, brought it inside to show the fam, and almost left it in the egg basket to be washed with the rest of them but decided it was too small to eat so I’d throw it back to the gals.

I chucked it against the ground so the shell wouldn’t be recognizable, and when I watched it burst, I noticed BRIGHT RED albumen so I went down to investigate (I threw it from my porch). When I got down there, I noticed that my eyes had not, in fact, been playing tricks on me. The albumen was something akin to the color of cherry jello, just not solid. The, er, “yolk,” or what I imagine WOULD have been the yolk were it a normal egg, appeared to be the most massive and disgusting meat spot I’ve ever seen. I’m talking over half an inch long and at least a quarter inch thick. I don’t see evidence of bleeding, but I’m checking vents when I put them up tonight.

I find it worthy to note that two nights ago, I shot a possum in the coop with what I had available; a high powered rifle. That was met with cackles and in the morning I found a hen dying (I believe her to have a heart attack being that she was 100% fine the day before and then the next morning was laying in the floor fighting to live). Could that disturbance have caused this egg?

Did you happen to get a photo?
A fart egg is usually an "egg" that captures impurities in the oviduct. If she was stressed, she may have had a blood vessel break and it was incorporated into the albumen.

An intact follicle can also look like a massive blood spot. Here's a link to what one looks like and my explanation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-out-of-old-english-game-bantam-hen.1321148/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...nglish-game-bantam-hen.1321148/#post-21541961
I didn’t get a picture of it, however there was no yolk in it and it didn’t look like the follicle pictured. The reason I referred to it as a fart egg is because it was abnormally small - smaller than my bantam egg and I don’t have any brown egg layers that are coming into lay so my guess is that it was an older gal. I’ve had an issue recently with one of them passing a lot of fluid resembling albumen and then passing a soft egg (the older gals aren’t even quite two yet) despite being supplemented with oyster shell free choice, so it could have been the same one just having further reproductive tract issues, or simply stress as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom