Egg filled with blood

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
What does this mean?! Omg, I hope this does not ruin eggs for me. It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nasty. One of my hens laid the biggest egg I have ever seen. It did not even look possible to come from even the biggest of hens. It was huge, could not even close the egg carton on it! Finally decided to use it today (it's been in there about a week) I cracked it in a separate bowl expecting it to have double, even triple yolks but instead the entire thing was filled with slimy blood, dark blood and a small yolk. It did not smell or anything but it was so gross I could barely look at it and quickly tossed it out.

What caused this? This is the only one I have ever seen like that. The shell was perfect and hard. Ick!
sickbyc.gif

I collect three times a day because we had an egg eater for a while, but thankfully it appears she has stopped. I have no idea. I get two shades of brown but have 4 breeds of hens, so I can't be sure who laid it. Everyone seems fine and there was absolutely no blood on the outside of the egg shell, or in the nestbox...just IN the egg.

No, it was just more bloody than that. I don't know how to describe this without grossing anyone out but it seriously looked like afterbirth. If you are a mother, you know! It had this dark mass that I can only assume was the yolk (NO way it was a chick, I collect every single day, and they do not free range) the egg white part was all tinged in dark blood. I wish I had taken a picture but we were just so stunned by it that we stared for a second and quickly tossed it.

Something along the reproductive tract could have easily ruptured and bled and was encapsulated along with everything else in a shell prior to being laid. Poor hen, but sometimes weird things happen.

Back
Top Bottom