Egg flavor vs chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by poussin_noir, Jun 9, 2008.

1. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    I was wondering if certain feed brands (feed store) affect egg flavor?
    Would going organic feed be better? Is it worth the price?
    I'm worried about getting that fishy smell that store bought eggs have.
    Lol my chicks haven't arrived yet but I am just curious on what feeds to avoid in the future.
    Also is there certain foods to avoid other than garlic and onions that would taint the taste of the egg?

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Um, your supermarket has fishy smelling eggs? [​IMG] GROSS!

I use whatever is on sale and supplement with leftovers and fresh greens. My chickens lay DELICIOUS eggs [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your grocery store eggs taste like fish they are too close to the seafood market.

What a hen eats - fish, garlic, onion, chicken feed, etc. does not change the general flavor of an egg.

4. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    I know it sounds strange but i've had some batches of eggs smell fishy not so much taste fishy while cooking them.

5. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    The smell at the store is probably due to the fact that store eggs are usually overa month old, and they may treat or "wash" the outside of the eggs to prevent spreading bacteria. And yes, what you feed your chickens can affect egg flavor, they just have to eat a very large quanity for the taste to be noticible to most people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by