egg gathering time?

youthpastor

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC
Hey, I'm new here, but I've been gleaning information from you guys for a while. Anyway, I was planning on letting my kids gather the eggs so that they could sell them, but they usually don't have time to do it until after school. Is that too late in the day?

That's what my family did for years and years when my sister and I were in school and my folks worked full time.
It increases the risk of egg-eating and the eggs may get dirtier, but we never had a problem.

Chickens generally lay throughout the day. This was a surprise to me, being new to chickens last year, because I had imagined hens would be up bright and early and feeling productive first thing in the morning. But when we're home all day on weekends, we might collect one by 10 AM, one more by 2PM and maybe another one by 4 PM (we have four hens).

Our girls' eggs don't get collected until after 4 PM on weekdays, and there's never been a problem with damage or egg-eating (thank Goodness).

I think your kids would get a big kick out of it.

Probably would be ok. My chickens lay at different times of the day, sometimes in the mornings and sometimes in the afternoon. So I just go out there periodicly throughout the day till I have an egg from all of them unless someone is not laying that day.

Jayare

Thanks guys. Actually, I thought about it afterward and remembered that when I worked on a layer farm we often collected eggs in the afternoon or evening although they can't eat their eggs cause they roll away, but anyway, thanks for confirming it for me.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom