Egg gender selection survey

If I post pics of the eggs I'm incubating will you tell me what gender it is?

We can have fun trying!
smile.png

Yes absolutely!!! So what are the symbols of pullet and what are the signs of roo? It seems crazy to me that you can guess by he egg!!
You need to read thru the whole thread to understand what's going on here.
Sure we can guess, we have a 50/50 change of being right...hahaha!

I might be on the tail end of hatching for the spring, so darn it! I might try this at some point though.

But if I could recommend an improvement to the data collection method; hatchers should, if at all possible, separate the eggs in the incubator and raise the chicks in 2 separate broods for definitive results.
Example; these 8 chicks hatched from pointy eggs and X# came out male/female, and these 14 rounded eggs hatched X# M/F.

Even more helpful would be stats on 100% gender selected eggs.
Example: if 12 out of 15 eggs hatched, all selected female, and only 5 end up pullets, that's a better indicator of unreliability.

Also, when collecting/relaying data, let us know which eggs didn't make it! If 8 out of 10 eggs hatched, and 6 were selected female; were the 2 that failed the 'female' eggs? If 4 of those ended up being pullets, that could be amazingly relevant or totally irrelevant; if the 2 that failed were female, that means the remaining 4 'female' eggs could have indeed produced females, and the 4 'male' eggs could have indeed produced males!

Just a little more organization in relaying results would be very helpful :) Hope that makes sense!

I might be on the tail end of hatching for the spring, so darn it! I might try this at some point though.

But if I could recommend an improvement to the data collection method; hatchers should, if at all possible, separate the eggs in the incubator and raise the chicks in 2 separate broods for definitive results.
Example; these 8 chicks hatched from pointy eggs and X# came out male/female, and these 14 rounded eggs hatched X# M/F.

Even more helpful would be stats on 100% gender selected eggs.
Example: if 12 out of 15 eggs hatched, all selected female, and only 5 end up pullets, that's a better indicator of unreliability.

Also, when collecting/relaying data, let us know which eggs didn't make it! If 8 out of 10 eggs hatched, and 6 were selected female; were the 2 that failed the 'female' eggs? If 4 of those ended up being pullets, that could be amazingly relevant or totally irrelevant; if the 2 that failed were female, that means the remaining 4 'female' eggs could have indeed produced females, and the 4 'male' eggs could have indeed produced males!

Just a little more organization in relaying results would be very helpful :) Hope that makes sense!

Yes!

Hey folks!

I created a google form survey that will allow us to simply export and analyze a spreadsheet of data.
If you have already submitted data through this thread, please re-submit into this form.
Click here to input your data or copy & paste the link below into your web browser.

How it works: Anyone can access the survey and submit as many responses as they'd like, but only @lazy gardener and I will be able to edit and export the data.
We ask that you provide your BYC username or email address so that we may follow up with questions about hatching and sexing techniques.
Also, please refrain from commenting in your response to each individual question to facilitate data analysis. Try to only input a number or percentage, and if a note is necessary, place an asterisk to direct us to the comments section.

If anyone has questions/technical issues with the form, please feel free to ask on this thread, or PM me and I'll respond as soon as possible.
For questions about the experiment in general, contact @lazy gardener , as this experiment was her idea and she will be taking the lead.

Enjoy!
D.gif

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1E-MWQjzyJkkRYXo8fMK0GsYtRIQHNqOzHYr7pqU8i0A/viewform

Back
Top Bottom