Egg gender selection survey

Here is a video about citizen science
smile.png

I think people are taking too broad a picture here. When I chose my eggs to sep them based on m/f I actually MEASURED the eggs not classified based on appearance. Those that measure nearly the same or the same around width and length were called girl eggs. those that measured longer around the long way than around width were called boy eggs.
Of course I only have 1 live chick from that batch... so my stats are useless but for this you can't go by visually pointy or round you need to measure or it is far too subjective.

Now my 4 Legbar eggs are still needing to hatch and those I will know at hatch if I was right or wrong :)
I beg to differ with you. I did no measurement in my 3 hatches last year. What I did do was separate eggs, and as much as possible attempt to match up eggs particular to a single hen, and then look for subtle differences, and choose the 1 - 2 most resembling the female profile from that clutch. For example: I have 2 RCBL. They lay a white egg, one gal lays an egg that is larger and rounder than the other. So... I was able to reasonably guess which eggs were hers, and then out of her 6 eggs, chose the 2 that were most round on the pointy end. No measuring involved. I did this for all of the eggs chosen. Got 60% female in each of the 3 hatches. Previous years, I had 40% female.

So, if a survey participant chooses to measure eggs, go ahead and do it that way. Be sure to put your measurement criteria in the comment section. But, if a survey participant chooses not to measure eggs, DON'T make a judgement that they are not doing it right, simply because they are doing it differently than you. This is a SURVEY. The objective is to collect data, not to criticize methods.

If I read your previous post correctly, and if I remember correctly, you chose 2 leg bar eggs with male and 2 with female profiles. Am I correct? These results will provide immediate grattification re: data! Do you have them separated so you can tell who hatches out of which egg?

I beg to differ with you. I did no measurement in my 3 hatches last year. What I did do was separate eggs, and as much as possible attempt to match up eggs particular to a single hen, and then look for subtle differences, and choose the 1 - 2 most resembling the female profile from that clutch. For example: I have 2 RCBL. They lay a white egg, one gal lays an egg that is larger and rounder than the other. So... I was able to reasonably guess which eggs were hers, and then out of her 6 eggs, chose the 2 that were most round on the pointy end. No measuring involved. I did this for all of the eggs chosen. Got 60% female in each of the 3 hatches. Previous years, I had 40% female.

So, if a survey participant chooses to measure eggs, go ahead and do it that way. Be sure to put your measurement criteria in the comment section. But, if a survey participant chooses not to measure eggs, DON'T make a judgement that they are not doing it right, simply because they are doing it differently than you. This is a SURVEY. The objective is to collect data, not to criticize methods.

If I read your previous post correctly, and if I remember correctly, you chose 2 leg bar eggs with male and 2 with female profiles. Am I correct? These results will provide immediate grattification re: data! Do you have them separated so you can tell who hatches out of which egg?

Last edited:
something I thought you might find interesting. https://munchies.vice.com/en/articl...w-to-determine-chickens-sex-before-they-hatch There is a lot of animal rights and PETA stuff in there, but the good part is below the big text box about halfway down.

"Dr. Krautwald-Junghanns has developed a breakthrough method of chicken sexing, which can now be done at the embryonic stage. By using what is described as a near-infrared Raman spectroscopy, certain blood vessels can be detected within the embryo to determine what sex it will become. The whole process takes about ten seconds and can be carried out three days after the egg is laid, at which stage an embryo’s central nervous system is not yet active, thus no pain is experienced upon being destroyed."

Ok, all of the eggs hatched! I'm not positive but it looks like 4 girls and 2 boys. :yesss: Once they get older and their owners can tell for sure what genders they are I will let you all know. But I say that this theory of pointy being male and rounded being female is true! I have done other hatches too, and one had three pointy eggs, they all hatched, and they all turned out to be males.

first of the 4Legbar eggs hatched today. I had two round eggs and 2 markedly longer than wide

THIS chick hatched from a round egg and it is a boy

There is a pip in one of the longer eggs so waiting...

4 Cream Legbar eggs. 2 measured round 2 measured longer than round

1 egg was a quitter
1 egg still in incubator giving it a couple more days candles ok but I see no movement
1 chick from round egg
1 chick from long egg

BOTH boys

Back
Top Bottom