Egg Hatching Too Early

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunshine0235, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    I have 6 chicks already hatched, one is starting to zip, yet the membrane is bleeding, is there anyway to discourage the chick from continuing since the membrane is bleeding? Is it too early for him to hatch? Is there anything I can do?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I don't think you can stop the chick from hatching and trying to might kill it. I have had chicks hatch too soon before but none died, even those that lost a lot of blood. I had one turkey chick start hatching after its shell was damaged, and its belly was totally seethrough since it had only just closed over the guts, but within a few hours it was all good like the others. Babies can heal amazingly fast, even from blood loss. Leave it be would be my best bet.

3. inneedofhelp16

inneedofhelp16 New Egg

Jul 14, 2014
    I went down to check on my chicken to see how she was doing with the eggs I seen she was off the eggs so I went to check on the eggs and one was cracked open I could see blood and it only had five more days until it made 21 days I didn't know what to do I didn't want to bury it because when you watched the egg carefully it was moving like it was breathing I didn't want to bury because you could see it was still alive the only thing I knew to do was stick it back underneath the hen so I did..did I do the right thing? im afraid she might peck at it but I didn't know what else to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by