egg help! 0_0

SmallFarmer93

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Texas
Hey everyone. I'm very new at raising farm animals. My family and I kind of fell into raising chickens and ducks (we went to a store in search for a rabbit and ended up with ducks and chickens instead). I've looked up a lot on how to raise them and they've all grown just fine. But I'm fairly stumped when it comes to the eggs. We want the duck eggs for hatching and the chicken eggs for eating. I've found three brown eggs (I was told they were about that age to lay, but my father told me it'd be a few more weeks. He had chickens growing up) so I'm not prepared at all. I don't know if they are duck eggs or chicken eggs since our chickens are allowed to be where we keep our ducks. Any help would be great. I don't want to make a mistake. =)
I've posted a photo of the three eggs.The one on the far right is the largest and was no where near the ducks. The other two were found with the ducks and I think my sister said she saw the duck lay the one with wax on it and leave it in the mud (but there's a chance I misheard her and she just saw it in the mud in their pen). It got cracked and I read on a post here that wax helps.

Last edited:
To me, they all look like chicken eggs. 
X2 ... also it looks like your chickens are black sex links, they usually lay brown eggs and the white crested ducks usually lay white eggs ... and Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Same here :)

Thanks everyone. I'm sure they all are as well. Found another egg in the rabbit pen and I know the ducks can't get in there. But if I already put the ones I wasn't sure were duck eggs under a heat lamp and all that for hatching (like I said, I thought I had more time. Which apparently I do.) Would they be bad to eat now? They've been there for a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom