Egg help please

chicksooner

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Oklahoma
A couple of my girls have started laying. I was going to cook some up for little guy this morning but noticed blood spots. Not really sure if it is blood or bacteria. A couple of the eggs have been pretty dirty since they are just laying where ever. I have washed them before cracking. Here is a pic. The spots are on the ends where the white "string" hold the yolk.

Here is an egg anatomy. Those white things are called Chalazae :)

You can cook them up with blood spots, but most just remove them. Doesn't signify anything harmful.

We get small blood spots in our eggs once in a while too. Sometimes I take them out, other times I've already cracked it into a cake or pan and its impossible to dig out, soooo I just don't tell the family and continue cooking lol! None of us ever noticed a different taste or have gotten sick.
ETA Dried blood is very dark, almost black, and fresh blood is a brighter red.

Last edited:
I have also heard that the more fresh they are - the more chances of seeing these 'blood spots'. They fade over time apparently. Which is probably why you never see them with store bought eggs.

ETA:
Blood spots occur when blood or a bit of tissue is released along with a yolk. Each developing yolk in a hen's ovary is enclosed in a sack containing blood vessels that supply yolk building substances. When the yolk is mature, it is normally released from the only area of the yolk sac, called the "stigma" or "suture line", that is free of blood vessels. Occasionally, the yolk sac ruptures at some other point, causing blood vessels to break and blood to appear on the yolk or in the white. As an egg ages, the blood spot becomes paler, so a bright blood spot is a sign that the egg is fresh.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom