Egg Help

Bridgertrot

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
I think we've finally decided that are two Rouens are girls! Since they are our first ducks we've ever owned I'm still in the learning stage. A friend of ours who bought some Pekin ducks about the same age have now started laying so I feel ours are not too far behind. So I need to know everything there is about eggs. They are still on the starter feed currently (since the bag is so huge) called Purina Flock Raiser but I'm thinking about switching them over to Purina Layena. I'm just following the directions on the bag...18 weeks we're supposed to switch but we're a little over. It'll be good to lower the protein a little. Hopefully I'm doing this all right! I can slowly switch them over by mixing the feed right? I just don't want to upset their tummies.

I've also heard that the first few eggs might come out a little odd since their system is working out kinks. About how many times do they need to lay until eggs are useable? How do I collect them? Do I just take them when I find them? Then what do I do with them? Just toss them into the fridge? lol I know I need to clean them first...any special way to do that? How long until they spoil? Anything else I need to do?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be prepared!

Hiiiiii bridgertrot !!!!!!!!! Well I'm not sure about duck eggs but for my chicken eggs I do wash them with soap cause u know its kinda weird not washing something u eat coming out of a animals butt hehehe . And I never changed there food or anything but I read that u should but I think it's ok if u don't . And I think u should just collect them when u find one and yea so wash them and put them in a carton and my mom says the eggs will go bad between 2-3 weeks

I think we've finally decided that are two Rouens are girls! Since they are our first ducks we've ever owned I'm still in the learning stage. A friend of ours who bought some Pekin ducks about the same age have now started laying so I feel ours are not too far behind. So I need to know everything there is about eggs. They are still on the starter feed currently (since the bag is so huge) called Purina Flock Raiser but I'm thinking about switching them over to Purina Layena. I'm just following the directions on the bag...18 weeks we're supposed to switch but we're a little over. It'll be good to lower the protein a little. Hopefully I'm doing this all right! I can slowly switch them over by mixing the feed right? I just don't want to upset their tummies.

I've also heard that the first few eggs might come out a little odd since their system is working out kinks. About how many times do they need to lay until eggs are useable? How do I collect them? Do I just take them when I find them? Then what do I do with them? Just toss them into the fridge? lol I know I need to clean them first...any special way to do that? How long until they spoil? Anything else I need to do?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to be prepared!
Hi
You can keep them on Flock Raiser for good and just provide crushed oyster shell (to provide calcium) in a seperate feeder/bowl. Technically, they should have less protein at this age but many (including me in the past) just feed Flock Raiser. I think it is always best to slowly switch feed with any animal.

When they start laying, which may not be until spring due to short winter days, you will want to either switch them to Layena or provide a calcuim supplement. With ducks you change at first egg, not by age like with chickens.

The first eggs may be small, have no yolk, have 2 yolks, etc. They are perfectly usable. I find it easier to make a nest for them and put a fake egg in it (or something egg like, I use golf balls) that way they, hopefully, get the idea that it is a safe place and you don't need to search for eggs. They sometimes bury them and there is nothing worse than stepping on that egg you are looking for. If the weather is cool collect at least once a day, if it gets hot where you live collect several times a day.

I don't wash my eggs, duck or chicken, until I use them. They have a protective coating on them that keeps bacteria out and washing them right after collecting removes that layer. If they are gross, I will wipe them gently with a damp towel. I store them in cartons on the counter but I use them pretty quickly. Its been a while since I looked into how long you can keep eggs but the last thing I recall was a study that found fresh eggs kept on the counter were still good 4-5 months later (I dont think I'd keep them that long). They will keep longer in the fridge. I used to ask friends to save egg cartons for me that way I had extras.

The advice I got from our state agriculture department rep said not to wash the eggs until right before you use them, to gather them daily and put them in the frij.

There is a bloom on duck eggs that keeps them fresher, and washing removes that, and the wash water can actually (according to the ag guy) carry bacteria through the shell.

Not to confuse, but wanted to share what I have been told.

I ate the first egg our runners laid, it was fine. There were some little pullet eggs, some yolkless, and a few double yolkers the first year. They all tasted great.

yep we still get days where the girls are muddy or lay next to the pool, but with turning of the bedding and keeping it clean the eggs stay looking great. Oh for those where it turns to true winter, collect those eggs as often through out the day as possible to avoid having them freeze.

Omg! Our first egg! :D My babies are growing up *tear*

It's a little tiny and long, I'm assuming it's the correct length but just didn't get wide, but otherwise pretty hard. It has (what I'm assuming) that protective layer around it...makes it look a little greenish/dirty. I left it as is and tossed it in the fridge. I guess we are going to crack it open later and possibly eat it...I'm a little nervous about it and hope I don't die haha

Last edited:
I threw away our first egg just in case u know
1f604.png
it does feel like there growing up so fast

Back
Top Bottom