Egg hide and seek

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    I never made a nesting box, because my first layer was only 16 weeks when she started laying (I thought I'd have another month or so), and I had just finished fort knoxing their coop and needed a break. So I just let her lay her eggs in the hay beneath the coop. There was just enough room for me to squeeze in there and retrieve her eggs. Now a few more girls have started laying and they're hiding them from me. I have to search everywhere under the coop to find them, and I think one may have hid one behind my hostas yesterday (I saw her sneak under there and come out 10 minutes later). What can I do? I put golf balls in the nest I want them to lay in, but they didn't get the hint.
    Anyone have any helpful hints? Or am I doomed because I didn't make them a nesting box? IF I make one now, will they start laying there?

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Build a nest box, mine is 32" wide, not divided. Keep them cooped up for a few days and put wire or enclose the bottom of the coop so they can't get back under it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by