Egg Hiding - How Long Will Eggs Keep Without Refridgeration?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harldane, Mar 26, 2009.

1. harldane

harldane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    One of my hens has a bad habit of escaping from a tractor extension we temporarily set up while working on plans for an ark - and we know she's been hiding her eggs as they're not in the coop with the others.

Over the weekend, my daughter found a nest of 9 eggs in a geranium planter under her bedroom window. Hubby tossed them, which killed me seeing them go to waste.

My question is...at least 9 days is a long time to not be refrigerated for some of them (she can be an on/off layer). The weather here in So. California hasn't been overly warm, and the eggs were in almost all shade daily and were cool to the touch - but how long is too long to go without being refrigerated?

Thanks.

2. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Gail Damerow says in her books that one day at room temp is equal to a week in the 'fridge. You can put those hidden eggs in a bowl of water. If they try to float, they're old. A fresh egg should lay on its side.

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I agree - do the float test. I have read posts from some on BYC that don't refrigerate eggs that they will be eating within a week or so. They leave them in a bowl on the counter. I always refrigerate mine, so I can't really comment on that. I've found secret nests with up to 15 eggs in them and although I have no idea how old the eggs were, I did the float test and they all passed with flying colors. We ate them, and they were just fine. It's probably cooler here than in CA though. Our biggest problem is finding secret nests in the winter after all the eggs have frozen and busted.

Penny

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I have an EE who loves hiding her nest. I just found out she's been laying under the coop. I didn't even know she could get under there. I found 22 eggs yesterday, and I did the float test. Only one was bad; some of the rest will be turned into hard-boiled eggs because the older eggs peel better (these are the ones that tipped a little), the rest are in the fridge. Rotton hen!!!

5. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I only refrigerate my eggs if I have to wash them. Otherwise, they stay in a basket on my kitchen table. I have never had a bad one yet. However, now that the eggs are fertile, I might have to refrigerate more when the weather turns very warm, or some will start to develop, and I definitely don't want to see a partially developed embryo when I break open an egg to eat!

6. SLM

SLM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    So, from what I read.

If you have a rooster and the eggs may be fertile, then refrigerate.

If you want to make deviled eggs out of fresh eggs, leave them out at room temperature and do the float test to see if they float enough to boil.

Now, if you have a rooster and refrigerate the eggs and then take them out, I assume that there will be no chance of a chick.

Am I correct?

7. harldane

harldane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

Now I'm even "redder" that hubby tossed the eggs....oh well though. Live and learn.

I've already seen my sneaky hen walking around outside the tractor this AM so I'm off for another Easter Egg hunt and will do the water test.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by