Egg Hoarding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sirhc76, Dec 10, 2011.

1. sirhc76

sirhc76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Am I the only one that feels the need to keep massive amounts of eggs on hand? Looking at my second fridge one would think I'm preparing for the apocalypse and using eggs as my only rations. I've managed to get a few of the friends buying eggs, mainly to pay for food. I sold 3 dozen this week and right now have 8 in my fridge. My 9 pullets are each laying an egg per day almost every day even without added light. I remember when I couldn't wait for them to lay and now Its sort of like the waiting for your children to walk. Once they start they and are into everything you just ask why [​IMG] Its really enjoyable watching the progression of their eggs from the first laid golf ball size to what they are now. My wyandottes and single australorp eggs range from pink to brown and I'm able to ID each hens eggs after catching them in the act at least once. The egg consistency is pretty neat.

[​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG] nice. I have to admit, my fridge looks the same way. some of my hens just started to molt all at once so the egg production dropped off just in time or I would really be up to my eyeballs in eggs [​IMG]

3. rhpues

rhpues Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Timmonsville sc
    [​IMG]

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I'm the exact opposite. As soon as I have 18 (I keep them in 6-egg cartons), I start panicking that I MUST give them away. I can't stand to see the cartons all stacked up. It makes me anxious.

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I wish! We only have 8 hens and eat the eggs as fast as they lay them. We never have an to share. Lucky! I would donate some to a woman/children or homeless shelter if I had extra.

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I see flan, lemon meringue pie, pavlova, christmas divinity, custard, angelfood cake, pound cake...........................can you tell I love to cook?

Deb

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I win. I have 30 dozen in my fridge. Seriously. I get over two dozen a day, so that's a two week supply. LOL. I sell them at work, give them to the food bank, and scramble them for the chooks. I tried an ad on CL but everyone around me has chickens so didn't get too many takers. I recently sold a bunch of the hens so hopefully it will slow down, plus some are molting, etc. I cook each weekend, but everyone's getting tired of pound cake. [​IMG]

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That's enough cholesterol to put down a small army!

9. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    I'm so jealous lol
    I dont think we will ever get a supply like that. we only have chickies and 1 duck to give us eggs

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Actually, since I have so many, I went back to using egg whites in my protein pancakes, etc - now when I scramble eggs for the chickens, I separate out most of the whites for me. They get the yolks, some of the whites and the shells. My hubby gets to take a few dozen to work with him as well. Right now I have a ton of pullet eggs out of that 30 dozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by