Egg identification - it could be one of three hens

leslielbk

Songster
7 Years
I get this weird egg and it's a beautiful creamy color and always very oblong with a pointed end. The single breeds that I have are buff Brahma, black Australorp and a white Giant. For the life of me I can't figure out who's laying this egg! Anybody?

Attachments

• 20200223_165613.jpg
    20200223_165613.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20200223_165522.jpg
    20200223_165522.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200223_165441.jpg
    20200223_165441.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 2
There is no way I know to tell who is laying that pointy egg! Each chicken lays a certain shaped egg. The same breed, but different chicken will lay a different shaped egg. The only way to know for positive sure is to watch them and see who is laying it while it happens! I've done just that. I stayed out watching the girls laying for hours at a time one day for that reason. Chicken keepers are a little crazy you know! :wee

My Australorp laid dark brown eggs. I'm voting for one of the others.....

Everything I'm reading says that brahma and austrolorp lay brown eggs. White Giants lay white eggs, so, my 'guess' is the white giants. I have two Sicilian Buttercup hens. They are my only white layers and one of them lays a long, pointy egg also. Last week we got a much smaller version. I don't know if she had a glitch and laid a smaller egg that day, or if one of our new bantams is a 'torpedo' layer too. The problem is, none of our bantams are white layers. Cream, maybe, but not white.

Everything I'm reading says that brahma and austrolorp lay brown eggs. White Giants lay white eggs, so, my 'guess' is the white giants. I have two Sicilian Buttercup hens. They are my only white layers and one of them lays a long, pointy egg also. Last week we got a much smaller version. I don't know if she had a glitch and laid a smaller egg that day, or if one of our new bantams is a 'torpedo' layer too. The problem is, none of our bantams are white layers. Cream, maybe, but not white.
Jersey giants lay brown eggs. Could be beige to darker brown, but definitely not white. ??? I thought the eggs you were asking about were cream to tan color, no white? Did I miss something? Your Buttercups ARE your only white egg layers, but the others can lay light tan color eggs. Good luck on figuring this out! Ain't chickens fun?? :wee

Back
Top Bottom