Egg identification

mushypea

Hatching
Jul 27, 2016
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I would like to ask whether eggs from the same hen tend to stay the same from day to day. I mean in terms of general size, colour, shell abnormalities. I have 4 hens, and I get 2-4 eggs per day. Can I identify the layers by their eggs? I get 1 large very light brown, 1 medium light brown every day, one small dark brown occasionally and a big light brown with dark specs from time to time.
When I catch one in the act, can I assume that she is the one laying all the eggs of the same size and colour? Or does it vary for each chicken?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but I would like to ask whether eggs from the same hen tend to stay the same from day to day. I mean in terms of general size, colour, shell abnormalities. I have 4 hens, and I get 2-4 eggs per day. Can I identify the layers by their eggs? I get 1 large very light brown, 1 medium light brown every day, one small dark brown occasionally and a big light brown with dark specs from time to time.
When I catch one in the act, can I assume that she is the one laying all the eggs of the same size and colour? Or does it vary for each chicken?

Thank you.
If you have different breeds it's much easier to tell eggs apart, but generally yes, a hen usually lays an egg with the same general qualities such as size/color once they are mature. (With exceptions such as double yolkers/fairy eggs.) Abnormalities can vary with the reasoning for the abnormality. If you have a hen that is laying eggs with, say, calcium deposits and the condition is addressed, then the abnormality will go away. If it's an abnormality inside in the egg channel/tract, (whatever the experts want to call it...lol) then it will probably remain the same. I have an australorp mix that lays a weird egg, always has. I assume that the shape of her egg tract is funky. Out of the 22 hens in my first coop, I think there are only 4 eggs that I can routinely tell who they belong too...lol So IF I only had those 4- I could tell you whos was whos...lol

I think I can tell mine apart--the hens are different breeds. I have been able to get the eggs right after the hen leaves the nest enough times to learn the differences ...But I never had more than 4 hens at a time.

I think I can tell mine apart--the hens are different breeds. I have been able to get the eggs right after the hen leaves the nest enough times to learn the differences ...But I never had more than 4 hens at a time.
When I first started raising chickens I had 5 girls and paid very close attention to them so I could see who was laying what egg. For quite a while I could tell you whos was whos until I started adding to the flock. Then I gave up. I have two nn/ees that lay a green egg, so it's easy to tell them apart, my Spitz hen is easy to tell apart and I can usually tell my Polish. My weird egg is a no brainer too...lol

I have 4 different breeds of girls. The color is consistent from day to day. That helps determine who's egg is who's. The size does vary slightly from day to day, but that may have to do with the fact that they're 18ish weeks old and have been laying for 2. Once they settle down, I would think you can rely on color being consistent, but if you have 2+ hens with similar ages the egg size may not help.

Back
Top Bottom