Egg in the run

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Noobiechickluv, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    When I went out to feed my chicks the other day, I saw an egg in the middle of the run. Hasn't happened before or since. Any idea why one of my girls would do that?

2. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    I occasionally find one in the middle of the coop. A couple days ago I watched as my barred rock stopped walking, squatted and plopped out an egg. Just a weird thing that occasionally happens. Maybe they come before they are quite ready so the hen isnt ready? Although I bout once a month find an egg in the spot my barred rock layed. Who knows that goes on in their minds.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I always think of it like my three-year-old--she's potty trained, by every once in a while she gets distracted and doesn't make it. Same thing with your hen. She means to use the nest box... but sometimes the egg surprises her.

4. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    Glad to hear it's normal. They have only been laying a couple of months, so I guess it's only natural to have some strange behavior on occasion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by