Egg incubating fiasco - advice please! *New Pictures!*

how about some aluminum foil to cover the top with? should help hold heat in? can you lay thermometer on something close to eggs so you can still monitor the temp? maybe you can check a local pet or feed store to see if they have an incubator on, maybe you can put your eggs in? Good luck ~Julie~

I have shoved loads of wet socks (clean of course!
lol.png
) into the tub and it seems to have done quite well at raising the humidity. I have been regularly spraying towels and socks with warm water to keep the humidity up. I'll have a think about some foil... 2 days to go 'til the first one is due! Is too high humidity dangerous? Can they drown or anything if it is too high?

Drowning inside the shell is usually caused by too high of humidity during the main portion of incubation--not right at the end. It causes the air cell to not develop properly, and there's not enough breathing room inside the shell. At this point, high humidity is a good thing, but obviously you don't want any wells or other places they can drown AFTER they hatch.

Good luck. You're doing great to get them this far with that set-up. Some people have hatched eggs inside their clothes (human body temp is very close to incubation temp--and a sweaty body provides plenty of humidity, lol), and under other odd circumstances. Of course, it's hard work and not as reliable, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for yours. Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaahh okay, that's put my mind at rest about that then!
big_smile.png
Today's been a bit of a pain to keep an eye on them because I've been working, but for the next few days I'm free, apart from looking after the existing ducks!
lol.png
I'll keep spraying regularly over the next couple of days to keep the humidity up high, I think it works well with the socks and spraying but does go fairly quickly
smile.png

Funnily enough, I did actually incubate them with my body heat for those couple of transitional days between the girls incubating and me having to take them when they'd stopped. I wrapped them in my t-shirt and sort of cradled them in my arms haha. I like to think that I kept them going
big_smile.png
It's just annoying they stopped like 2/3 through! Oh well, like you said, even if we don't get anything from this, I did manage to keep them going pretty well and that makes me feel good
smile.png

Thanks for your kind words!

Just be careful when you open/uncover because every time you do heat & humidity escape. Be paticent }spelling) more than likely these eggs will not hatch ON TIME.. (the exact hatch day)
fl.gif
but we are pulling for you & fingers are crossed. Good luck~Julie~

Yeah I know
sad.png
I have one corner which I use as access and therefore try and limit the amount of heat and humidity that escapes, but inevitably some will anyway. I kind of figure that as long as I'm opening it to increase the humidity by putting wet stuff in or to spray the stuff inside, it's worth it...

I'm so impatient! But I know I can't be, like you say, they probably won't hatch on time... When should you start to see rocking and hear cheeping? Or do you not always see that anyway?

Right now I've been sitting & watching as the temp & humidity are slowly wanting to drop & i have an incubator(LG) I can feel a draft & its messing my hatch up. Grrrrrrrrrrr
somad.gif
barnie.gif
good thing i was there watching to adjust temp & humidity. Now i covered the bator with a few towels to help with heat. My 11 eggs I hi-jacked from a broodie on Thursday evening for hatch day which was Friday. They have been rocking, all but 1 b/c that 1 isn't as far a long it might have been laid while the broodie started sitting so it would take longer, if its still alive. i have to wait to candle it. usually they start rocking after the first day of lock down (in my experience) }}either day 26 or 27 rocks through till they hatch & some times you hear them peep. I did hear a peep sound 3x's so far. When I talk to them or peep at them, they almost always start rocking. ~Julie~
fl.gif

i didnt here rocking or cheeping till about 7-8 hours before they externally pipped, just keep busy and if they are going to hatch they will, fingers crossed for you
smile.png

Next time your going to open the plastic tote you should check temp to be sure its good still. Have every thing all ready like more towels or rags. when you get them wet use hot water, then fold it in half, then ring out the water but NOT too much and leave it as it is when you rung the water out of it.. I think the" heat stays good inside where the rag is twisted" if needed you can place it in a bowl. I have a few wash rags in mine to help hold humidity. you can exchange the other rags/socks with fresh/warmer ones. }}}just my opinion. Oh & I don't think you need to be worried if they not moving yet, but still talk to them. ~When are they due to hatch? Good luck ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom