1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Egg inside an egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wildflower, Aug 28, 2007.

1. wildflower

wildflower In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    This is truely crazy........My friend who I split our chick order with, just found a giantic egg from one of the Aracanas, it was blue green and very round. We cracked it open to fine two yolks a bunch of very runny white and yes.....an entire second egg, shell and all. I guess this is the second one she has found, the first was white, we think from a white leg horn. The egg was the size of a plum! These chickens are only six months old. (sorry, I wrote six weeks and scared some people to death..edited it, quick!) I get double yolks from, white, green and brown eggs daily. Is this normal, has anyone heard of a double egg? We feed them high quality organic lay crumble and extra flax. We are feeling very sorry for the girl who had to push that hugie out!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Songster

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Am I reading that right?? Your chickens are laying at 6 weeks old??

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I've heard of that happening-one of many possible glitches in the system of new layers. Surely you meant 16 weeks, not six!
    Look at this site-there's a pic of that very thing:
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  4. aran

aran Songster

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    i love how they call yolkless eggs " fart eggs"

5. wildflower

wildflower In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Whoops.......I ment six months!

6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:I'm glad you corrected that...I was heading out the door to go give my girls a scolding for being such slackers...

7. joanm

joanm Songster

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

8. homecatmom

homecatmom Songster

Here we were getting ready to do the happy dance since my girls are going on 5 weeks! I told DH to get those laying boxes ready for the girls! Now someone talk about the double egg thing, it sounds interesting.

9. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Songster

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I get a double yolker every week almost from one of my RIRs
    My customers love them LOL,they always say OH look at dat one!! must be a double yolker lol!!

10. lurky

lurky Songster

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I wonder if a hen sat on that egg for 21 days.......what would happen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: