Egg internally pipped on day 17

4th chick hatched late last night, early am and is a brahma mix. The first feather footed baby of the bunch. Coco's last egg has pipped, Lolly's first chick is the feather footed one and she has 2 more eggs to hatch, and Goldie has 3 eggs, 1 has pipped at the wrong end. I know how to assist with emergency hatch but I don't know how long I should wait before intervening. I had asked before if momma hen will help a chick hatch if they are stuck in other people's threads but never got an answer so Idk if intervention is even necessary.
20220517_131649_HDR.jpg

The 5th chick hatched a half hr ago, 2 pipped and waiting on the other 3. No change from the backwards pipper yet
I am not sure if a mama will help but from reading other threads from what many say if they externally pip at the wrong end most times it is fine as long as they break the shell and membrane but it may take much longer to hatch since they basically internally pipped and externally pipped at the same time since they didn't pip through the aircell first then the external that you see. Hope that makes sense since I feel the others have explained it better.

The first momma Coco has taken her chicks outside for the first time and the older chickens don't seem to mind or bother them now that the curiosity has passed. Only 1 hen has pecked a chick that kept following her and it appeared to me she was gentle about it like hey I'm not your mom and it turned and followed the rest of the chicks. Seeing how rough they have been with each other when establishing the pecking order I was a worried they'd be rough with the babies too so I'm glad they are mingling well. One chick had pasty butt and Coco was trying to clean it without much luck so I cleaned it off. Some of the chick are already trying to dig in the dirt and wood shavings mimicking mom but as hard as they tried kicked their little feet nothing moved under them and it was the cutest and funniest thing to watch. They are swapping chicks too, yesterday one had 4 and today the other has 5 and they don't seem to care who has who so that's interesting. 2 are Brahma mixes, 1 blue orpington mix, and the other 7 are either speckled sussex or Wyandotte mixes, hard to tell which is which since they all have the chipmunk stripes with different shades of brown and mahogany. And Coco raided the other 2 hens nests and took the egg shells that were under them and ate them with the babies lol is this to deter predators that could be attracted to the smell of blood in the shells? The 2 chicks that hatched today share my birthday too, today was supposed to be hatch but most of them decided to come early. I'm just glad they all made it happy and healthy.
20220519_175359.jpg

The first momma Coco has taken her chicks outside for the first time and the older chickens don't seem to mind or bother them now that the curiosity has passed. Only 1 hen has pecked a chick that kept following her and it appeared to me she was gentle about it like hey I'm not your mom and it turned and followed the rest of the chicks. Seeing how rough they have been with each other when establishing the pecking order I was a worried they'd be rough with the babies too so I'm glad they are mingling well. One chick had pasty butt and Coco was trying to clean it without much luck so I cleaned it off. Some of the chick are already trying to dig in the dirt and wood shavings mimicking mom but as hard as they tried kicked their little feet nothing moved under them and it was the cutest and funniest thing to watch. They are swapping chicks too, yesterday one had 4 and today the other has 5 and they don't seem to care who has who so that's interesting. 2 are Brahma mixes, 1 blue orpington mix, and the other 7 are either speckled sussex or Wyandotte mixes, hard to tell which is which since they all have the chipmunk stripes with different shades of brown and mahogany. And Coco raided the other 2 hens nests and took the egg shells that were under them and ate them with the babies lol is this to deter predators that could be attracted to the smell of blood in the shells? The 2 chicks that hatched today share my birthday too, today was supposed to be hatch but most of them decided to come early. I'm just glad they all made it happy and healthy.View attachment 3115533
Happy birthday! Adorable little fluffs. 🤗

Back
Top Bottom