egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

Internal laying occurs when an undeveloped egg (without shell) gets released and misses the oviduct. The egg material goes into the abdominal cavity and is partially reabsorbed. If it happens repeatedly the belly gets big. The condition is also called egg yolk peritonitis. Many hens get an internal infection that kills them. For some reason Colette has not gotten an infection, but her belly has gotten so big that it sparsely feathered, and the other hens would peck her bare skin. That is the original reason that I removed her from the coop, but the low light does prevent her from hopefully filling up her belly with more egg material. She still has an appetite for her regular feed and loves to have assorted greens for a treat. She also enjoys going out in the late afternoon or evening to free range under supervision with her flock and do some sand bathing.

rosey has a clear liquid coming from her bottom what is it? i couldnt get all the poop off her vent. its like it is dried to the inside of her vent. it was hanging out a little i put olive oil on it. it went back in.

The olive oil sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure what the clear liquid is. You could apply a clean, warm damp cloth to her vent area periodically. You might want to monitor how her belly feels and note any changes in size or firmness.

I bet before you had chickens you could never imagine spending this much time examining the backside of a hen. Keep up the good work.

And you might as well let her dust bathe. I think it is a good sign. You just will wipe her off after she has given a good shake and spent some time preening her feathers.

Last edited:
scratch'n'peck :

The olive oil sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure what the clear liquid is. You could apply a clean, warm damp cloth to her vent area periodically. You might want to monitor how her belly feels and note any changes in size or firmness.

I bet before you had chickens you could never imagine spending this much time examining the backside of a hen. Keep up the good work.

And you might as well let her dust bathe. I think it is a good sign. You just will wipe her off after she has given a good shake and spent some time preening her feathers.

i know i have really learned a ton of stuff about chickens this week. yea kinda done checking out the backside
sickbyc.gif
here is a pic of rosey dustbathing right now!
87967_chickens_baby_006.jpg
!​

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

scratch'n'peck :

i know i have really learned a ton of stuff about chickens this week. yea kinda done checking out the backside
sickbyc.gif
here is a pic of rosey dustbathing right now!https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/87967_chickens_baby_006.jpg!​

ROTFL
lau.gif
gig.gif

Things your mother never told you about!!!
old.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif
Just wanted you to know I'm sending good thoughts your way. You have done a great job with Rosey, and I know it hasn't been easy. Hope all the news is good from here on out. We got our first chicks this spring also, and ours are just starting to lay. The experts on here have such good suggestions. I know exactly how you feel about your chickens being more than pets.

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

ok i can NOT get all the dried poop off the vent i dont know what to do.

i would say find a dish tub or something just big enough, and put enough warm water in it to stand in and get water just above her vent. (make sure it's warm enough for her to be comfortable, their body temp is 100+) if it were me, i'd just use my hand to gently rub away what loosens under water every couple minutes for maybe 15 minutes, rinse her good to make sure none of the bits are stuck to feathers or anything and dry her off and back to bed for a while. do that a couple times and she should be cleaned up soon enough. as long as you get enough cleaned so she can poop again, she doesn't have to be spotless right away. but cleaner is better for her healing stitched area of course...

I've heard some people say they use dish liquid to bathe chickens, but don't have any experience with that myself. but maybe google it. a nice warm bubblebath always does a girl good IMO. LOL and i would think soapy water would help kill any germs and help break up the lump faster? but make sure you rinse her good if you do soap, as you don't want her eating any when she preens.​

Back
Top Bottom