egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

scratch'n'peck :

Oh I didn't realize the stitches were taken out then, that's good.

That list says, "Put the hen on a maintenance diet of wheat and water." Human foods without too may additives where the main ingredient is wheat would work. That's why pasta and noodles would be fine. You probably want to limit things with a lot of protein like the tuna or eggs. If you give her chicken feed you probably want to switch from the chick starter which is usually 20% protein to a grower or layer formula that has 15% to 16% protein (Nutrition tag on bag lists those percentages). Of course if you happen to talk to the vet you can ask about the diet. The reduction in the hours of light exposure is the most important part of that list (even on cloudy days), and that is why your vet focused on that.

where did you find that list?​

I've been following you on here since day one and you are doing a great job. I keep reading what everyone is telling you and it sounds like they are giving you great advice too. To regards to your question about when you should let Rosey out and bring her back in again, I would think as long as she has less than 8 hours of light you should be okay. Even if it's cloudy there is still light. I was thinking perhaps to let her be with her flock late afternoon and let her stay and sleep in the coop with them and take her back into the bathroom in the morning after she's been socializing with them. That's what I would do and I'm sure others will have other ideas as well. Anything you do would be based on how you feel she is doing.

Here is a link to the thread where I read it https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=426140&p=2

I
think sherylreno brings up a good point, you probably could let Rosey roost in her coop overnight once you are confident that she has recuperated enough. You may want to watch her with the others and make sure they are not tempted to peck her butt if it is red before leaving her out. Just make sure you follow the vet's recommendation of under 6 hours of light per day. A few hours of free ranging wont affect her diet too much, but you might want to make sure she doesn't load up on high protein chick starter when she is out there.

Howdy neighbor!!
frow.gif
Where at in Alabama? I'm on the western side of Birmingham. I have not been on BYC for a while and your post was the first one I opened and read today.... took like 3 hours! But you have done a great job with Rosie!! I was eating a balony sandwich for lunch when the pics of her butt popped up... so lunch was over!
sickbyc.gif

I had to bring one of my babies in for a while to heal up after some sever pecking was done to her side. She was fine for about 3-4 weeks, then she got really lonely and sick. Chickens are social birds and need to be around the flock. So putting her in the coop at night and bringing her in the house in the morning might be a good idea. But if her butt is still like an open wound, the others may start pecking at it and cause even more damage. Chickens can be canabalistic once they taste blood, and they keep pecking until the injured one is dead. I learned that lesson the hard way. Ask the vet if you can use 'Blu-Kote' on her butt to keep the others from pecking at the area. It is a safe can of spray that is a Veterinary, Antiseptic, Protective, Wound Dressing, that is also Germicidal & Fungicidal. You can pick it up at most pet stores or your local chicken supply store. This will put a protective layer over the area and will probably keep the others from pecking at it. And yes, her butt will be a Blue-ish purple color from the spray.

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread to see how it all turns out with Rosie. She's lucky to have you as her momma!!
hugs.gif

i pln to let her sleep in the coop tonight. the vet returned my call and said it was ok. she is in my master bathroom in a cardboard mansion
lol.png
. we have given it up for her. so i will be glad to get to take a shower or bath in my bathroom at night. i think i will leave her out with them in the mornings for about an housr and then bring her in to mid day. what do yall think?

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

i pln to let her sleep in the coop tonight. the vet returned my call and said it was ok. she is in my master bathroom in a cardboard mansion
lol.png
. we have given it up for her. so i will be glad to get to take a shower or bath in my bathroom at night. i think i will leave her out with them in the mornings for about an housr and then bring her in to mid day. what do yall think?

sounds good! i'm glad that Rosie is doing better
smile.png
if she reacts fine and acts normal and there is no picking then you might be able to just leave her with the others
what breed of chicken is Rosie?
-Little Creek Farm​

"i know its weird how something you just cant get out of your mind. i can still see her bottom even when i am not looking "

Some things cannot be unseen!
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom