egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

after thinking about the grit thing i went in my yard got a hand full of tiny tiny tiny pebbles and dirt. i had watched them eat those before. she ate and ate those things. i also was thinking about the light thing after her visit tomorrow. wonder if i could take rosey outside for just a couple of hours a day and then maybe build her something that i could cover with something to keep light from being so bright or am i crazy?

I`m following the thread to,hope for the best for her,I have had two hens with prolapse,warm bath and honey around vent worked for me,then I put blue kote on them so the others would not pick at them.But mine never had an egg stuck,they were always able to lay the egg.

I'd keep her inside for now. I know you don't want her to be depressed, but keeping her from moving around too much will help her heal.
Bring her sister-chickens in to visit for short periods of time and talk to her if she needs soothing, but I wouldn't take her out right now. Don't risk it. See what the vet has to say. If this were happening to my chicken, I would be petrified that anything might spontaneously trigger an egg, and that is not what you want right now. Keep her in the dark.

Do you have regular chicken food? It might be a good idea for her to have that since she isn't free-ranging all day like she's used to. The vitamins in the chicken pellets or mash would probably be good for her recovery and healing.

Hang in there!!
hugs.gif

Glad she ate the grit, that will be a help. I would wait to hear what the vet has to say before letting her outside. I would as others said just bring the others in for a short vistit and spend some time with her. I hope she does well through the night and all is well in the morning.
hugs.gif

Quote:
i know i told a friend of mine this chicken may never see the light of day again (of course that was a joke). noway do i want her laying an egg honestly ever again.

Back
Top Bottom