1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg is yolk only, no white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeninfested, Apr 17, 2012.

1. chickeninfested

chickeninfested Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    My experienced hen, a light brahma, laid a very small egg yesterday. When I cracked it open, it contained only a yolk. I was expecting a "fart" egg", ( one with only white) but I have never heard of a yolk only egg. Has anyone else ever had this happen? What is the weirdest egg you've ever had?

2. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    I would love to see a picture of that!! There is a Weird Egg thread floating around, cant recall its name, but it has some insane pics of fart eggs and other mess ups. Try searching it......

3. chooksgirl

chooksgirl New Egg

Jun 17, 2012
    I found a very small egg yesterday under the rose bush so I dont know which of my girls laid it. However, when I tapped it, it didnt sound quite right. When I broke it open there was only a yolk and no white. Curious. Can anyone shed any light on this. I have trawled the internet and can not find anything.

Many thanks

4. amymorris227

amymorris227 New Egg

Jun 9, 2015
    Yuba City
    I had the same thing. So strange! It was a normal looking full sized egg though.

[​IMG]

5. LisaStone

LisaStone Just Hatched

Jul 15, 2016
    Montana
    I had this happen to me! It was my Barred Rock's very first egg. I cracked it open to poach it for breakfast and the consistency was so weird. It'seems like all the egg white was really just water and the yolk was a regular small sized yolk. There was just a tiny amount of normal egg white. I was hesitant to eat it, but went ahead anyway. I'm glad I'm not the only one. She just laid another one like it today. It was cracked when I got to it though so I fed it to the dog. I'm hoping her eggs normalize soon. They've all been a bit weird. But she's only been laying for about a week, so I'm not TOO worried about it. I'm a first time chicken mama so I'm still learning all the ins and outs.
    [​IMG]

6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I got my first egg today it's small but normal looking. Haven't cracked open yet. Maybe for breakfast tomorrow? Wish I could fossilize it. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by