Egg Issues with Rhode island Red hens

mnjpando

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
I got to watch one of my Rhode Island red hens lay an egg the other day and what a process. I want to know why the constantly scratch and cicrle in the nest box before laying an egg. This process seemd to go on for 5-7 minutes. then see finally laid an egg. Here is my issue I kep getting busted or cracked eggs which i am assuming is due to an egg already being laid in one box and another bird goes in the same box to lay her egg. And after the 5-7 minute ritual of circling and scratching the orignal egg gets either pushed out of the box or broken is this normal? I am getting a success rate of good eegs to broken of about 60/40

I do have a 2" lip on the nest box but these reds really scratch the nests...

please help...

Thanks

Ive had this problem as well. Ive been giving oyster shell to harden the eggs, and Ive put alot more bedding in as well. Also Ive been collecting eggs about 3xs a day. I really think one of my BA's was pecking at the eggs. Sometimes if they get a taste for raw eggs
sickbyc.gif
they will eat the eggs that have been laid.

You might want to start collecting more often.

I know what you mean about the Reds scratching the nests. Mine make an awful mess and I only have two! I just keep adding more shavings and I check for eggs a few times a day. Seems to have stopped the cracked egg problem we were having for a while. I've also considered putting a pad under the shavings just in case they do move it all.

Back
Top Bottom