Egg laid in sac?

sadies chicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Northwest
I went out to let my girls out this morning and noticed that someone had laid an egg..... The weird thing is that it was covered in a sac? I want to say like an embryonic sac maybe, it was clear/white in color and very gel-like. My girls are just starting to lay, is this a part of the "get ready for all of the eggs" stage?

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks!
bow.gif

Thats a shell-less egg, perfectly normal when they start to lay eggs. Mine would do a shell-less egg & a yolk next to it. You can increase their calcium intake by supplementing their diet w/ yogurt(plain) or cottage cheese, make sure they have free choice oyster shell too. Here is a picture of the shell less egg & the yolk is in the dish. Is this what you had??? I never was able to pin point which girl was doing this, but it seems to have stopped.
57282_soft_egg.jpg

Oh sorry, I should have said that a fully developed egg, shell and all, was inside this sac. Just weird. The sac was pretty thick too. I sorta 'popped' the egg out of the sac. The egg was broken so I couldn't keep it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Okay, that's weird...

It sounds like something happened in one of the last stages of egg development.

Yeah that is what I am thinking. I THINK it is the silkie laying cause the egg is pretty small, but not 100% sure. I hope to catch whoever is laying on the floor while they are doing it. (which again says silkie cause she sleeps on the floor of the hen house and has never been up in the nesting boxes, from what I know)

Back
Top Bottom