egg laid with no shell

I just found one in my coop. Only 1 chicken( brown sex link) is laying. She has had 5 normal (kinda small) eggs.

I just found a chicken eating an egg in the middle of the yard....

I chased her away from it and after I examined it.... it looks like it was an egg with no shell.

Do I have to kill her or will she not eat her own eggs now?

If they start breaking the shells and eating eggs just make a soap egg.
Poke a hole in an egg with a knife point or something similar, pour the egg out so you have an empty shell, put hand soap in (I use a creme colored soap since it looks like egg white), tape over the hole, and set it out for the chickens to "sample". After a few times they won't peck at shells to eat eggs since they taste like soap.
This just breaks them by relating nasty soap flavor with eating eggs. May take several times and then occasionally in the future to keep the association of "yuk" with eggs in their heads.

I had a no shell egg the other day. It was in the nest and the yoke wasn't even broke. I do have some new layers though.

There's 2 (un broken) eggs in the coop this morning, so I think we lucked out, the one chicken hasn't figured out that eggs with shells = food.

But that soap idea is a good one. I'll definitely remember that just in case!

HI, the same thing is happening to me. i have hen that has been laying for about a week or two, but now she has laid 4 eggs over the last 4 days that break and have a very papery shell. all of my hens (5 total) have been eating layer feed, so they have been getting calcium. what ever came of your chicken?

This was a "new chickens" issue I think. I only ever saw 2 or 3 shell-less eggs, (I had 12 chickens, 11 now) and I haven't seen a shell-less egg in months.

So I walked into my coop today, and I saw an egg and my first thought was "What the hell is wrong with that egg?" It was frozen all over, and I noticed when it started to melt in my hand it was stick.. It had a pretty good looking egg shape so I thought, "Maybe it's some type of goo that game out with it?" So I took it into the house, started to rinse it off, and I noticed there was no shell. Does this just mean there is a lack of calcium? I don't know which hen laid it, my silks have been laying for awhile now perhaps about 1-2 months if that and never have had problems.. my EE has just started laying but her egg was in her usual nesting spot and just fine. But one of my plymouth's JUST start to lay.. so perhaps it is hers? She laid one two days ago and it was fine!

The thing is, one of my silky hens sat in her nest ALL day long, and would not move, and had no eggs.. so im feeling like it could have been hers.. is there something I Should do or?

I figured my shell-less egg problem out. My hens had extra scratch, suet and other treats as it got very cold and i think that prevented the calcium uptake they need from the feed. i added oyster shells to their feed (small handful) and all is well. i am also starting to feed them egg shells after i break them up. seems to be working.

Back
Top Bottom