Egg layer knuckle head

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Out of all 5 chickens, one DOES NOT lay in the boxes. Amelia started nesting in our old BBQ smoker, I went to take her out and I found an egg in there! I put her in the boxes several times but she was wanting to get back in the smoker, later on I checked the coop and found a cracked egg on the wooden board that holds the waterer and feeder. She has 4 other chickens to follow as an example. Should I put another decoy egg to help her out?

I think adding a wooden egg is supposed to help, but to be honest, I've never had this problem. Do you put them away at night? Mine didn't use the nest box we provided and instead have built a nest that they all share in the corner... That's not really the same thing, though, is it? Hm, any other ideas?

We used to have fake eggs in the boxes. They put them selves away at night, always at 8 something. It's kinda the same thing, they're not laying in the boxes. I'd say the decoy eggs worked. We blew out store bought eggs and filled up the shells with dirt and pebbles.

hm, I'd say if you can get them to lay in the coop you can go from there. I'm not sure what else to do...

Back
Top Bottom