Egg Layer plan

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by harleyjo, Sep 19, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I am trying to do some planning for next year. I go back and forth on what I want but I have to keep my main priority right up front, and that is eggs. I currently have BSL, a couple Australorps, 2 buff orps and a mutt rooster. The mutt rooster will go when I get another one. My thinking now is to go with good brown egg layers.

So with that in mind here are my thoughts. I think I want my rooster to be a RIR. I want some Delawares, RIR, Barred Rock, and Black Australorps as my pullets. Others I am considering just to get some in the flock are Speckled Sussex, Welsummer and RI White pullets or White Rocks.

Some of my reasoning is this. I know the sex link chickens are good egg layers. With a RIR roo I can cross with a Barred Rock hen and get BSL, with a Delaware hen and get red sex links, and if I get a RIWhite a gold sex link. I also know that it would only be good for one generation because the sex links will not breed true but I could keep a breeding hen of the breed I need or get new ones.

I know that RIR's are good layers themselves so here is one of my questions..
    1. Do RIR roo x RIR hen = RIR chicks

2. If I got a white rock instead of a RIwhite could I still get a Gold sex link with a RIR roox White Rock hen?

3. Are Delawares a mix or is it Delaware roo x Delaware hen to get a Delaware chick?

Help me figure out if I have thought this through and it makes sense or if I have missed something. I only want about 20 pullets. Really I want more but better not push my luck in town.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Delawares and RIRs are both a breed, so you'll essentially get just what you want with them. breed A x breed A = breed A. [​IMG] Although of course, a lot of hatcheries sell RIRs that are crossbreds, but that is aside the point - They're still "red" and lay brown eggs, which is what people want in the end, really.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    1. RIR X RIR = RIR
    2. I believe, you should still get a sex link... but I could be wrong.
    3. Dellie X Dellie = Dellie.

If you want a bunch of eggs, you can't go wrong with Black Sex links or Ideal 236s. Egg layin' machines.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think the RIR x White Rock will produce sex-linked peeps. I think it works with the RIW because that white is a silver.

Not totally sure though.

5. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    You can use the RIR on Delaware hens and get sex links would be nice birds I am going to try New Hampshire over a few Dellies for sex links

6. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

2.a RIR x white rock should produce a sex-link.a NHR x white rock = golden comet

7. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    My big concern with this particular plan is getting a nice RIR roo. I hear more bad than good on that point.

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    White Rocks don't always carry the silver gene so you may or may not get sex links from that cross. If you get a sex link it's a sex link no matter the fancy name like Golden Comet Red Star etc there are lots of names for the same bird so don't let it confuse you.The Delaware cross sex link is also a super layer..we use our Dels in the sex link pen as well.Rhode Island White hens are very calm wonderful chickens to be around with a great personality.

9. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

oops, nevermind.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  10. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Next thing I guess I should ask is where are you finding your chicks? I hear dissappointing stories about some of the hatcheries. Any recommendations as to where you all have found a particular breed that you like?

If anyone else has a better idea for me for birds for a good brown egg laying group of around 20 pullets that I could turn around and breed with one or two roosters tops to get the next seasons chicks I would love to see what you think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by