Egg laying and MACV water amount

kathythom

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2016
I have 2 Americana hens.Both are about 30 weeks old. So far I haven't foud a single egg. We do let them roam for a couple of hrs. in the early evening, large grass area and woods. Should I let thwm stay in their coop for a few days to see what happens?

Also, how much MACV should I provide in their water?

Attachments

• 20190920_164608.jpg
    20190920_164608.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0
Should I let thwm stay in their coop for a few days to see what happens?

Also, how much MACV should I provide in their water?
Yes....and None.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
As mentioned, you need to (re-)home them to the coop. They should be laying by now.
ACV is, IMO, much ado about nothing. Plain, clean fresh water should be available at all times. In times of stress, offering electrolyte water in addition to the plain water is helpful.

Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here! Agree with aart and DobieLover.... if they are laying they may have a spot somewhere. Most chickens lay at 30 weeks but I had an EE that didn’t lay until she was 8 months old.... She has been my most steady layer though even at age 7

Back
Top Bottom