Egg laying bantams?

my5hens

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
Are there any good egg laying bantam breeds? Some of the Old English breeds are absolutely beautiful!
No offense to the girly in my photo!
tongue.png

Last edited:
My bantam Cochin, Silkies and Porcelain d'Uccles ALL lay like crazy. And their eggs make especially lovely little sunny side up eggs for breakfast.

smile.png

25976_p140211_0732.jpg

This is eggs from our bantams, mostly rosecomb/silkie crosses. They lay medium to smallish eggs. At first, we thought they were odd, novelties in the wake of people wanting backyard chickens for production purposes, people tend to want the biggest and the best. But we have an odd celiac diet, and the gluten free bread we buy and make tends to be small. So, the Good Lord has provided us with perfectly sized eggs for our odd sized bread.

Truth be told, backyard eggs are EGGIER than the store-bought eggs. Small eggs are just fine. They pack a whole lot of nutrition and protein in a smallish package, IMO.

Sometimes, we are overrun with eggs, we have an overflowing basket in the fridge with our bantams' smallish eggs. But Mae West was quoted, "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful",
so we use them ALL now and then for an indulgence. Old fashioned french recipes. Soft cooked with fresh butter. Yellow cake. Mmmmmmm.....

I have OEG hens and they lay daily. They are great little girls. Silkies and the other another poster said are also wonderful layers.

Back
Top Bottom