egg laying behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gjoyner, Sep 13, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a RIR, 1 Blue Andelusian and 1 ameracauna. They are 18 weeks and I was wondering how you know when they are going to start laying. Do they do anything different? What are the telltale sigs of soon-to-be egglaying?
    HURRY UP CHICKENS!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Should be any time now. They can vary a bit.
    I've never seen any sign in mine, but some people will see them going into nests or squatting before laying. Good luck

Imp

3. higgdm

higgdm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Vashon Island
    I am hoping going in the nest box and making a lot of noise is a good sign an egg will be coming soon. My Rhode Island Red 20 weeks old was hanging in the box for over an hour and then just started squawking (she is very noisy anyway and she was quiet that hour in her box). Once she jumped down and out in the run I checked the box and nothing....Maybe later

4. SassyT

SassyT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    Quote:that is exactly what my lady did on friday and when I got home from work she had gone to a different box and that is where she has laid since. 3 for 3.

5. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    when you go to pet them, they squat down and hold their wings out - (waiting for a rooster!!) if they do this, pet them and they will stay right there while you are stroking their backs. their vent pulses. once done petting they will shake and walk away.

usually after this happens eggs come within a week or so.

i have 8 pullets at 20 weeks. i have 5 now doing this, 3 are laying now. i check the others daily. best sign i have found!!!

good luck.
    any day...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by