Egg Laying Capacity: True, False or Chanced?

@aart - how so?

@Silkielee - LOL at least now you have the opportunity to test the breeder's comment XD
How will I be able to know which ones are pullet egg chicks and which ones from hen eggs? Would probably have to test it with an all batch of pullet eggs separated from a batch of hen eggs, maybe with my next 2 that go broody at the same time. A broody pullet with pullet hatching eggs and a hen with hen hatching eggs 🤔

How will I be able to know which ones are pullet egg chicks and which ones from hen eggs? Would probably have to test it with an all batch of pullet eggs separated from a batch of hen eggs, maybe with my next 2 that go broody at the same time. A broody pullet with pullet hatching eggs and a hen with hen hatching eggs 🤔

im going to try this also its a great idea! now all we need is 2 hens to go broody together hahaha 🤔

Well if I we had this idea last week I could have done it! I had a broody pullet and a broody hen both broody the same day.. I let the hen brood and broke the pullet!!

oh no! well my hen currently has 9 eggs under her at the moment im not actually sure whats under her though (if there pullet eggs or hen). I have ducks and hens. I also have a duck sittting on 14 eggs both mixed with chicken eggs and duck. its funny how many nesting boxes you have and they all like the 1 nesting box grrr!
is there a way to make hens go broody?

Uum... take some blood samples to see who is related to whom? (I'm sorry I don't know any other ways to find out for sure...)

Your idea sounds great. Once the chicks are no longer with their mamas, maybe legband them to keep track of their rate of lay? Trap nests would also help to count egg production.

im going to try this also its a great idea! now all we need is 2 hens to go broody together hahaha 🤔

I'd happily pass you my broody for the experiment, but I'm three oceans away from you so I don't think that would work...

Leave a clutch of eggs in a nest box for several days, preferably fake ones to avoid a mess. When the hens see it, it might tempt one of them into going broody. That's how most silkies wind up monopolizing the nest boxes, their owners don't take them out quickly enough at the end of the day and come next morning the girls claim them all for themselves xD

I'd happily pass you my broody for the experiment, but I'm three oceans away from you so I don't think that would work...

Leave a clutch of eggs in a nest box for several days, preferably fake ones to avoid a mess. When the hens see it, it might tempt one of them into going broody. That's how most silkies wind up monopolizing the nest boxes, their owners don't take them out quickly enough at the end of the day and come next morning the girls claim them all for themselves xD

hahaha yes a little too far away to help each other out dam!
well ill defiantly try this when i get the chance.
however my pullets have gone broody twice now and both times only lasted a week! :(

hahaha yes a little too far away to help each other out dam!
well ill defiantly try this when i get the chance.
however my pullets have gone broody twice now and both times only lasted a week! :(

That... is not very reassuring. Tell me, were those two pullets born from pullet eggs, by any chances? What breed are they?

Back
Top Bottom