Egg laying color chart by breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsengeseth, Jan 1, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a chart somewhere that says what color eggs you can get from what breed of hen?

For instance one I could tell what breeds lay dark brown, which lay white, which lay green....etc?

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
  3. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    red lobes mean brown eggs. white mean white eggs.
    There's greenish color lobes and they lay more of the creamy /ivory colored eggs.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:This is interesting and something I've never heard before! Hmmm! I learn something new about chickens all the time. [​IMG]

5. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:I've found exceptions to this rule in the past. Another thing you can look at is leg color. For example, my RSS has white legs and she lays cream colored eggs, my SLC has yellow legs and lays mocha brown eggs, my EE has green legs and she lays sage green eggs.

Gumpsgirl beat me to it, that is the exact same website I was planning to link. Its very handy for egg color and production information.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    You cant always go by it, that is for sure. lol We have so many different breeds already in our yard, then you add them mixing with each other, we have orange barred rocks.. now , what color do you think they are going to lay? lol

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    There are some exceptions to the earlobe rule (not all that many), but it works pretty well for a beginner.

I really like Henderson's chart. It also gives a nice summary of each breed's disposition.

8. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
  9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I'd LOVE to see a pic of your buff barred birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by