Egg Laying data

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
Hi everyone I just recently started logging in the egg laying times and dates for my Sumatra. There may be an older topic covering this but here goes.

Sumatra flock 4 total:
All are averaging 26.5 hour intervals when their cycle falls between 10AM to 5PM. If their cycle falls outside these times there will be no egg for the day. I have a total of three Sumatra laying in their nest boxes on the porch, 1 is MIA and I am doing an hourly search attempting to locate her nest to destroy it and get her back up on the porch. I suspect my dogs are eating her eggs making the task harder.

I am curious if anyone else tracks this data and if so please share your data and breed.

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Follow on thoughts to 10AM being the earliest documented eggs. I assume feeding and getting a full crop plays a huge role in my flock of Sumatra as they are almost exclusively free range and do not have access to continuous feed. Feeding may be a higher priority than egg laying if you are a hen who skipped laying the previous day.

They have continuous access to my cat's dry food, usually once daily scratch toss, and 2-3 times weekly they get sprouted beans as a treat. However, AM feeding isn't my priority.

Dana Childs

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2019
Quitman, Texas
I too keep track of laying times. I have one Black sex link that lays on my south porch at 9:00am. She is very reluctant to lay her eggs in the coup/nesting boxes. I have a leghorn that lays around noon on my east porch and she too is very reluctant to lay in the boxes. I have another black sex link that takes herself to the coup/nesting boxes and lays in there around 9:00am. They are very social and well behaved chickens and take themselves into the coup at night. I have 2 remaining that are not yet laying and we are hopeful they will lay their eggs in the nesting boxes.

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
I too keep track of laying times. I have one Black sex link that lays on my south porch at 9:00am. She is very reluctant to lay her eggs in the coup/nesting boxes. I have a leghorn that lays around noon on my east porch and she too is very reluctant to lay in the boxes. I have another black sex link that takes herself to the coup/nesting boxes and lays in there around 9:00am. They are very social and well behaved chickens and take themselves into the coup at night. I have 2 remaining that are not yet laying and we are hopeful they will lay their eggs in the nesting boxes.
So you are seeing a 24 hour cycle each and every day?

Top Bottom