Egg Laying data

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
Hi everyone I just recently started logging in the egg laying times and dates for my Sumatra. There may be an older topic covering this but here goes.

Sumatra flock 4 total:
All are averaging 26.5 hour intervals when their cycle falls between 10AM to 5PM. If their cycle falls outside these times there will be no egg for the day. I have a total of three Sumatra laying in their nest boxes on the porch, 1 is MIA and I am doing an hourly search attempting to locate her nest to destroy it and get her back up on the porch. I suspect my dogs are eating her eggs making the task harder.

I am curious if anyone else tracks this data and if so please share your data and breed.

Follow on thoughts to 10AM being the earliest documented eggs. I assume feeding and getting a full crop plays a huge role in my flock of Sumatra as they are almost exclusively free range and do not have access to continuous feed. Feeding may be a higher priority than egg laying if you are a hen who skipped laying the previous day.

They have continuous access to my cat's dry food, usually once daily scratch toss, and 2-3 times weekly they get sprouted beans as a treat. However, AM feeding isn't my priority.

I too keep track of laying times. I have one Black sex link that lays on my south porch at 9:00am. She is very reluctant to lay her eggs in the coup/nesting boxes. I have a leghorn that lays around noon on my east porch and she too is very reluctant to lay in the boxes. I have another black sex link that takes herself to the coup/nesting boxes and lays in there around 9:00am. They are very social and well behaved chickens and take themselves into the coup at night. I have 2 remaining that are not yet laying and we are hopeful they will lay their eggs in the nesting boxes.

I too keep track of laying times. I have one Black sex link that lays on my south porch at 9:00am. She is very reluctant to lay her eggs in the coup/nesting boxes. I have a leghorn that lays around noon on my east porch and she too is very reluctant to lay in the boxes. I have another black sex link that takes herself to the coup/nesting boxes and lays in there around 9:00am. They are very social and well behaved chickens and take themselves into the coup at night. I have 2 remaining that are not yet laying and we are hopeful they will lay their eggs in the nesting boxes.
So you are seeing a 24 hour cycle each and every day?

Back
Top Bottom