egg laying etiquette

ErikaSmit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Schererville, IN
Is there a certain time of day that chickens typically lay? How common is it for the chicken to eat their own egg? Our 4month old baby Roast lays at random times in the day and I worry we won't find it on time for her to start eating it. We also have 9 other chickens that live with her that are about a month younger. Will they eat egg??? Any advice?

most won't eat it until they realize it can be eaten. For example if you dropped one, the instinct will kick in to eat the broken egg to hide the smell so predators don't come looking!

If you feed you hens egg make sure the shell is smashed up to be unrecognizable and it is thoroughly cooked to try and avoid them making the connection

Erica, chickens normally get into a routine as to when they lay their egg. Many folks agree that a chicken can lay an egg about every 25 hours. so she would lay around 8 one morning, around 9 the next morning, etc. If you watch carefully, you may see a pattern in her laying. However, 4 months is pretty young to be laying, and pretty young to be laying regularly enough to set a pattern. Time will take care of that. Most chickens do not purposely break their egg to eat it. Does she have a nest box to lay in? My chickens don't use the nest boxes for anything but laying/thinking about laying. If there is ample straw or shavings in the nest box, and the eggs shells are at least average in thickness, you probably don't need to worry. Just make sure there is oyster shell to be eaten when she wants it, and you can rest easy. Also, listen for Roast to sing the egg song. I hear my Gertie singing right now. She sings for the other girls, too.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom